Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1: A Television Trifecta

There is a triple anniversary today for the U.S. television industry. The photo in the linked article reminds me of the first color TV I saw in the late 1950s. The show was Bonanza. I was blown away and pestered my dad for the next 6 years to get a color set. We waited until the screens were rectangular and the sets had built-in degaussing. In that day, was furniture.

We lived about 100 miles in all directions from the nearest TV station. Not a problem. My little home town got one of the nation's first cable TV systems in 1964. Before that, the only way that me and my buddies could watch the Three Stooges was to wait for rainy weather and used a motorized to pick up KARK channel 4 in Little Rock. For some reason, rain clouds helped with reception. Must have been reflection of the signal.

Years before this, I can remember watching a Dallas TV station 200 miles away in the mid-50s. What I remember is someone in a white rabbit costume in some kind of Easter show for kids. What My parents bought a TV in 1947 when they lived in Dallas and were quite popular in the small community they moved to in southwest Arkansas in the early 1950s. I wish I had kept that old set. The screen was about 8 inches in diameter.

No comments: